Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Finally going home!

Austin and I have dreamed about this day for months now......... going home! I am so happy that I can share this wonderful news with everyone (yes.... that's you) who has religiously checked this blog site to get the latest on Austin's progress. The even better news? - Austin is going home CANCER FREE! The preliminary results of Austin's MRI show there is no new tumour growth in his brain or spine. The doctors will further review and compare his previous MRI's to this latest one - but on first examination it looks like there is nothing to worry about right now.
Austin had a lumbar puncture this morning. This is done regularly to ensure that there is no cancer cells in his spinal fluid. He is pretty sore from the procedure, and is having an afternoon nap right now. It still amazes me how incredibly cooperative Austin is with the nurses and doctors. He never complains, or screams or cries. I honestly have no idea how he stays so calm and collected when he knows a giant needle is getting jabbed into his spine. He is so much stronger than I would ever expect him to be.

Austin - mommy's little solider.

We hope to head home this Friday for 12 whole days! Austin needs to come back to Toronto for a physiotherapy assessment, clinic visit, blood work and IV Pentamidine. Austin still has a lengthy road to recovery - but we hope to get him on track before he returns to school in January. Back home in Longlac Austin will have a home care nurse visit weekly. I am able to manage the maintenance of his central line care (flushing, hepronizing, changing dressing/caps) on my own, but will have a nurse pop in regularly. The doctors want to keep the CVL in for 2-3 months post-transplant. It provides easy, pain-free access for blood work, transfusions and antibiotics in case of emergency.
Well, I had better get packing - it is amazing all the things that you accumulate in a few months! Scott should be arriving here tomorrow to take us home in his truck. We are trying to avoid crowd exposure on a commercial airline flight until Austin's immune system recovers.
I will keep you posted!

8 comments:

Joanne and Dave said...

Can't wait to see you both...have a safe trip. See you SOON!
Luv XOXO Jo and Dave

pbfwood said...

The post we have all been waiting for!!!! I was crying reading it because it's such great news. This is wonderful news!! Have a safe trip home and keep us updated with how Austin is doing.

Anonymous said...

We are so excited for the three of you to be HOME TOGETHER!! What excellent news. Please call us when you are settled in. A pinch isn't going to wake you from this dream come true!!

XOXOXO
Shelley, Danica and family

Anonymous said...

Great news.... You must be so anxious to go home and sleep in your bed in your new home. Congratulations on your successful recovery.

Elaine

Anonymous said...

Austin and Mom.
So, happy you are going home. Be careful with that CVL line. Both Catherine and I can tell you, that CVL line is trouble when it is not being used regularly. It cost Kayla and Melissa both 17 days in hospital with Staph. At some point it becomes more of a risk than a benefit.
Anyway, you guys have a safe trip. Glad you got that physio assestment apt. Call anytime. Things are going to improve so much at home. I am so happy for Austin. What a long road. Take Care, Carolyn

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I am soooo happy to hear the great news, going home cancer free! Austin you are a true inspiration to us all. And Lindsay you have been so strong though this all. I am so happy for you both now you guys can go home and settle into your new house. Call me when your settled! All my love Angie & family.

Anonymous said...

Lindsay
What absolutely wonderful news! I'm overcome with great joy for you and my eyes won't stay dry thinking about it.
Uncle Peter

Anonymous said...

This is the post that I've been waiting for!! I'm soo excited for you and your family! Have a safe trip home. All my love.
Sue & Ben