Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Celebrate!


We had a party for Austin yesterday to celebrate the completion of his first round of chemotherapy (complete with balloons, streamers, presents and cake). It was a great celebration!!! He truly had a wonderful time, and was happy to be transferred to a "step-down" room. It is much more roomy and comfortable. He is now receiving steroids to help overcome a very uncomfortable rash that the doctors are referring to as (possibly) engraftment syndrome. He becomes unbearably itchy and is taking maximum doses of Benadryl that provides some relief. He has not had a fever for a couple of days, so I am hoping the antibiotics will stop soon. He is beginning to eat a bit, as well, which will help to get him off the TPN (IV nutrition). If all continues to go well, Austin may get out of the hospital for a break before beginning his next round of chemo.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Austin,

It's me, Amanda. I'm so glad that you're feeling better. Things are great over here. Well not quite!Last Thursday Desiree, Blake and I went for a bike ride on the nature trail. Going there what fine, but, coming back was not so fun. I hit a stump with my bike and flew over the handle bars. Blake said I flew like 15 feet!!!!!
Well it was fun, but, I did a face plant and got a black eye.

Talk to you soon.

Amanda S.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Austin on completing the first round. If I read the cake correctly, only 3 to go!!!!
Great job too, being discharged out of isolation so quickly!!!
Great to see that nice smile!

Keep up the good work!

Caitlyn and Rona

Anonymous said...

Hey Austin - Congratulations on completing round one and breaking records. So glad to see that great big smile of yours again - that cake looks awesome - and from the looks of the photo - you were probably feeling well enough to have a great big piece!!!

Take Care!

Sylvie and Dave (Birchcrest)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Austin!! It looks like you had quite the party!! I'm so happy that you're out of isolation, great job!!

Sue & Ben

Anonymous said...

Congratulation! You and your mom are in our thoughts and prayers. You are a very courageous young man. Thank you for sharing you journey.
Sending you and your mom hugs of love & strength.

Joanne and Dave said...

What great news! I can’t think of a better reason to have a party (you know me I’m always finding excuses to have a party). We think about you and pray for you every day. I hear you are getting some special visitors next week. Hopefully you will be able to spend some time with them. Keep smiling Austin…things seem to be going well and it can only get better!
Love you lots…hugs and kisses,
Dave and Jo