Saturday, May 12, 2007

Weekend pass!

Austin has fully recovered from his engraftment syndrome, and is no longer itchy (which is a huge relief - the little guy can finally get a good nights rest!) He has been completely taken off his IV food and only requires 12 hours of hydration at night. Austin has had a great deal of trouble keeping down his required oral antibiotics (a safety precaution) and will be attempting his fourth new type of antibiotic medication. I guess the doctors are hoping they will find one that will not make him vomit instantly. I don't blame Austin for not being able to keep down this stuff - I have tried it and almost threw-up myself! Unfortunately, Austin is allergic to the "standard" penicillin medication, so he has to take the really "yucky stuff" as an alternative.
The last couple of days have included an echo cardiogram, a pentamidine inhalation session (to protect Austin against pneumonia) and a pulmonary functions test. His kidney function was also assessed yesterday, and we are waiting for vision and hearing tests, as well. These tests are to determine if the chemotherapy has done any damage to his system. There will be more extensive tests after round two of chemo.

Austin is very anxious to get active again - and was excited to tour around the hospital a bit (he insisted to take the stairs instead of the elevator - and was sore the next day). We played some football in the halls, and went for a wheelchair ride outside. Austin also visited his friend Sarah yesterday, who is staying in the hospital, as well. Austin received day passes for the weekend, so today we went to the Toronto Botanical Gardens and to the park. I am so glad that Austin will be out of the hospital for most of Mother's Day - what a wonderful gift for us both!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Austin & Lindsay:

I'm glad you both had a lovey mother's day. Spendingit together is the best gift of all. I'm am hoping this message gets to you, as I am not all that fimilar with blogs, my last one didn't go anywhere.
I was telling austin that my favorite food is liver and onions with lots of mashed potatoes with gravey. My kids just cringe when its my birthday as they usually cook me supper. (my husband can't even go to the supermarket and buy it for me!!!) When my kids were little, ( they are all fair skinned and were anemic so I would grind up the liver and put it in spagetti and meatballs. Now they always ask what the meatballs are made of.)

It has been pretty nice here, warm weather, no rain and the mosquitos have just started to come out. Everyone is getting the gardens ready for summer planting. I have been watching my grand daughters play t-ball and baseball. The poor girls had to have their popa show them how to hit the ball not step back and let it go by!!

I have to go now but will be thinking of you, I'll check you bolg tomorrow.
Sheila

Joanne and Dave said...

Hi Austin and Lindsay,
What a beautiful Mother's Day gift...to be able to spend it together outside the hospital. We are so happy that you are feeling better and are able to leave the hospital. We spent Mother's Day by going to church...we had a special mass because yesterday was Our Lady of Fatima Day. The children helped out with the mass...2 grade 2 girls handed carnations to all the mothers, various students read some of the readings and 2 students helped out with the collection and the offertory. We had a special slide presentation during the offertory of pictures of all the students and with a song called "Created and Living in the Image of Our God". Coffee, juice and cookies were served after mass. Dave and I then went for brunch with Marlene and Rick's family. We spent the rest of the day working in our gardens. I am preparing a special garden just for you and it is situated between Scott's parents' house and our house. I’ll take pictures when it's finished and send them to you. What is your favorite flower?
I’ll close for now and hope you are enjoying your time together away from the hospital.
Take care,
Hugs and kisses,
Jo