Friday, July 6, 2007

A temporary set-back

My mother always told me growing up that "things don't always go as planned." Well, you sure were right, mom. Austin was sooooo close to getting out of the hospital when we had an unfortunate scare. After a regular hearing test in audiology, and a brief visit with the home-care nurse, Austie was 2 hours away from discharge to the Ronald McDonald House (for 6 whole days)! The doctors thought it was best to "top up his platelets" before leaving. I argued the fact several times that his platelets were well above the parameters within his protocol (and I don't want blood products to be used unless it is absolutely necessary). But of course I am not the doctor so it really isn't my decision. Anyways, 10 minutes into infusion Austin's lips, eyes and throat started swelling up. He had an allergic reaction to the platelets, and started having some breathing difficulties. The doctors and nurses arrived very quickly, and soon we had a room full of people. They gave him an IV push of steroids and Benadryl to combat the reaction. He is breathing fine again but his face looks like a little blowfish (sorry folks, no picture today)! Austin needs to stay in the hospital today and tonight for observation, and will hopefully be discharged tomorrow.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey guys

I'm sorry to hear that you guys couldn't get out today. I know how much you guys were looking forward to it. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.
Chow for now
Love Uncle Richy

deborah said...

How frustrating! I hope and pray tomorrow brings better news...
We think of you guys often!
d~

Anonymous said...

Oh Lindsay your only his mom what do you know...lolol how frustrating...just remember that it could be worse...hang in there both of you..Angie XOXOXOXO

Anonymous said...

I hope he gets better

Anonymous said...

I hope you get better the people in longlac really miss you and your friends are wanting to see you again it sounds like you were going thruogh a rough time
i hopw you gwt better

Joanne and Dave said...

Hi Lindsay and Austin,
Sorry to hear this...when I was talking to you (Lindsay) on Friday morning you were so looking forward to time away from Sickkids...keep smiling better days are coming!
Love Jo and Dave.