Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Waiting to escape

Well, this morning started early with a wake-up shake from the nurse. She informed us that cardiology called up and had an appointment time available for Austin right away. So, we stumbled off for yet another echocardiogram at 8:15 in the morning (with no coffee for mom - watch out)! Grandma saved the day - arriving at 9:30 am with a coffee, and stayed with Austin while I ran to the TOYS TOYS TOYS store for some select items to keep Austin occupied. We had a great day together which included an intense Yu-gi-oh duel (Austin's favourite card game), a tub bath (in isolation it's only sponge baths every day), and a game of hospital B-I-N-G-O. Austin won the first game, and picked a remote control car as his prize.

Austin is so close to getting out of the hospital. One problem - he won't eat. I mean he won't eat ANYTHING! He says that everything tastes bad. Now that the doctors have cut his TPN (IV food) in half, his stomach aches with hunger. Still he refuses to eat (although he drinks sufficiently). I think this will be his biggest obstacle to overcome once treatment has finished. Will we ever get out of here?

Grandma flew out of Toronto this afternoon after a two week visit, arriving safely back in Thunder Bay with no flight delays (she flew Westjet - of course). Scott will be coming down tomorrow to stay for the weekend. We sure do enjoy the company - and look forward to seeing Sheila and Grandpa next week.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI Austin and Miss Visser! Wow, I miss you guys so much! But I wont be able to see you guys , I will be starting high-school :) Well, i'm glad to see how you are doing. I never added a comment for awhile, but Im sure happy to write this to you :) So I guess I shall be going now. But I will be sure to keep up to track with you, and add more comments. Much lovee , April Krieger .

Anonymous said...

Hopefully, I will see you soon when I am in high-school !

xxoo --APRiL KRiEGER

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear he is doing better. Austin you really need to eat something, if nothing else, to make mom feel better. Glad grandma could go and visit you and she got back home safely. You are both in our prayers. Can't wait until we hear that Austin can come home again and he is done all the chemo. Patty Wood