Thursday, June 14, 2007

Back into the hospital

After an early morning pulmonary functions test Austin enjoyed his last afternoon out of the hospital. He was re-admitted at 3:00 this afternoon for his third round of high- dose chemotherapy. We are getting a bit closer to "the end" of treatment, however, Austin is quite weak and has lost more weight than I ever imagined was possible. Not only has he lost every ounce of fat on his tiny frame, he has virtually no muscle mass left either (from being confined to a hospital bed). He eats next to nothing and literally looks like a "walking skeleton."
We are now nearing the 6 month mark since Austin's brain tumour diagnosis. It is so hard to look back on all that has happened to Austie. I hope that he never has to live through this hell again. I can't believe that a whole year will go by before we can say good-bye to all of this and resume a "normal life." I remind myself, though, that as bad as things may be some days, things could be worse. I need only look around at some of the other suffering children and families that may never return home with their child - I thank the Lord that Austin has been given the chance of survival.

No comments: