Friday, June 29, 2007

Tummy troubles

Well, the counts have finally started going up slowly (HORRAY)! Austin has been having a lot of stomach pain over the last few days, so the doctor ordered him an ultrasound yesterday. The results of the ultrasound came back okay, so there does not appear to be any major problems. The doctor has ordered a new medication called Pentopazle which hopefully will settle and minimize the acid in his stomach. It is excruciatingly painful every time Austin throws up, so he is given morphine when needed.
Initial results from the lab show that his intestinal tract infection (c-difficle)has cleared up. However, they are doing a few extra tests to be sure before they officially "clear him" and take him off the antibiotic (metronidazole) used to treat the infection. I'm hoping that once some of the antibiotics are reduced, the nausea will subside. Austin's system has really taken a beating this round, and he doesn't have the energy to do much more than sleep. We have had some nice talks together, though, and we did a little Canada Day word scramble together today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lindsay and Austin:

You have both been on my mind the last few days. It is so busy with the end of the school year, all that panic to get everything done that you forget that outside the school building life is going on. I am sorry to hear that Austin is having a tough time this time around. Remeber that this year on December 23rd. you will be home in the loving arms of family and friends.

Austin you have shown us just what a courageous boys you are. I know you will keep up the fight, with every little breath you take it is one closer to being healthy again.

I know that being a Canadian is such a privilege that I thougly enjoy Canada day, I'll even eat one of the "horrible" hot dogs my husband insists is canadian tradition, this year I'll eat one for you!!!

My thoughts and prayers are with you both. Keep your chin up and fight the good fight.

Love Sheila & Bryon

Anonymous said...

Hey Austin

Hey buddy, I know you're in a lot of pain right now but you are so close to being finished. Keep your head up. I can't wait until you get out and come back. Everybody misses you a lot, you are an inspiration to a lot of people, especially me.
Happy Canada Day guys
Love Uncle Rich

Anonymous said...

One more round to go!!! Hooray!!! One more time Buddy!!! It will go quick. The last time seemed like the quickest for Melissa. I guess because you know you don't have to come back again. So, in- get chemo,transplant, counts go down, counts go up, step down and on your way. Yes, Lindsay we are lucky to be here in Canada. My children were born in U.S.A so we would've gone to ST.Jude's for the treatment because it is free there, but thank God we were here and did not have to travel to get proper health care because of lack of insurance. You guys look great. I will keep checking on you, Carolyn